Sunday, December 11, 2011

Post the Seventh: And Live In Harmony, Harmony, Oh Love

I'm afraid I've been neglecting my beloved Odd One Blogs this past week. I wish I could say that it is because there has been so much going on in my life right now or that I've been on some magnanimous adventure in some exotic location like Bali or the elusive Bermuda Triangle. I won't say that though, because I would be lying. I've been neglecting the blog because I have become addicted to a game called Robot Unicorn Attack.


Robot Unicorn Attack. Just the name itself gives me goosebumps. Wikipedia tells me that the game was released by Spiritonin Media Games on February 4th, 2010, but I only learned of it recently when all of my friends' high scores from the Facebook app started flooding my newsfeed. That's right; it's so good it's an app (Facebook and itunes).

The premise of the game is that you are a robot unicorn (that being a unicorn that is a robot) and you are running. You are given the tools of jump (Z) and dash (X) to help you keep running and to catch stars and pixies. If you fall, hit land, or crash into a star instead of dashing through it your robot-unicorn head explodes off of your body. The longer you keep running the more points you get. You get three "wishes" (lives) to get as many points as possible for your final tally.

There is a heavy metal version of this game that features a skeletal-like robot unicorn, death metal music and a morose colour palette, but I prefer the original version. The grass is purple, your tail and mane are rainbow, and as you get further in the game pink dolphins happily swim by. The cherry on top of all this epic sugar-coated goodness is the theme song 'Always', by Erasure. If you've never heard it before or seen the magical music video you are in for a treat. Make sure to watch the video in its entirety; it only gets better and better.


 
Song 'Always' by Erasure

The chorus is particularly moving: "Always I wanna be with you and make believe with you and live in harmony, harmony, oh love!" The harmony of which he sings is so life-changing he just has to sing it twice! All the harmony!!! 

I hope you play the game (give it a few tries; it can sometimes take a little getting used to at first) and I hope it brings you every bit of euphoria that it has brought to me. The Odd One Blogs assumes no responsibility for any work that you don't get done as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for gifting your comment to the odd one's blog. I hope it is not profane. If it is it might not stay here long.